Monday, June 30, 2014
Naked cyclists hits Exeter streets to promote and environmentally friendly transportation. The ride started at 1pm at floodplain besides Trews Weir. The last World Naked Bike Ride in Exeter was held in 2012. The cyclists were there early to have their bodies painted before the ride.
According to the group the ride was for "a peaceful, positive and fun protest exposing the need to rediscover non oil dependent modes of transport, and highlight the vulnerability of cyclists as well as meeting new people and having fun decorating our bodies".
Gary Numan pop star from the 80s was seen in area to watch the ride last Sunday June 29, 2014. Exeter's first World Naked Bike Ride was held back in June 2011.
More photos here
Exeter World Naked Bike Ride 2011 -
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
If you can't change your bikes track wheel don't lose hope, check out Global Cycling Network new video about changing your bikes track wheels. The video shows how to change wheels on a track or fixed gear bike and how to tension the chain.
- Tools that you need for this job is two 15mm spanner.
- Start by removing the front wheel. Use the two spanner to loosen the nuts, then remove the wheel.
- Then remove the rear wheel by loosening both the nuts. You will also need to remove the chain off the sprocket.
- Put the front wheel back in, and tighten the nuts.
- Next the rear wheel, place the chain over the sprocket then push the wheel in.
- To tension the change correctly, pull the rear wheel away from the bike then tighten the nuts to hold the wheel in place. Then straighten the wheel and apply more tension if possible.
Sunday, June 1, 2014
A World Naked Bike Ride will be held in Portland on June 7, 2014. There are no route announced yet but the organizer of the event confirmed it and will start at 8 p.m. The starting place is at Normandale Park, along Northeast 57th Avenue.
Thousand of participants is expected to join the event. Usually at this event participants wear very little or nude, sometimes they wear paint.
World Naked Bike Ride is a worldwide event were the participants ride their bicycles in nude to promote a body-positive world. Events like this take place in more than 74 cities in 17 different countries.
However not all are amused with the event. There are people in the area that are not happy with it taking place in their neighborhood.
Jean Marshburn a local resident said:
“Kids can't go to strip clubs." “It's kind of the same thing, I guess. They should probably go someplace else ‘cause there are a lot of kids around. It's kind of like an adult activity."
Last year more than 8,000 people participated in the event that took off at the South Park Blocks in Southwest Portland.